The Museo de Arte de Ponce is committed to enrich the quality of life of the community. Our community outreach programs teach and inspire people of all ages to improve their lives through art and other disciplines.
El Museo de Arte de Ponce se compromete a enriquecer la calidad de vida de la comunidad. Nuestros programas sociales enseñan e inspiran a personas de todas las edades a mejorar sus vidas a través del arte y otras disciplinas.
Puerto Rico Mío
This program, with long-term results, attends to the educational needs of students from 3th through 6th grade from Escuela Elemental La Carmen in one of the most disadvantaged towns in the island, Maricao. Weekly art workshops at the school and guided visits to the Museum promote teamwork and collaborative skills among students. At the end of the school year, the students present their art projects in the Community Outreach space at the Museum. This program is made possible by Fundación Banco Popular.
With annual funds received by the Legislature of Puerto Rico, students and teachers from around the island are able to visit the Museum, receive guided tours of the permanent collections and temporary exhibitions, and partake in art workshops for free. The program reaches about 700 students per year and 150 children from Head Start programs.
Workshops for the general public
Part of the annual funds received from the Legislature of Puerto Rico is directed towards a robust program of art workshops and educational activities, making it free of cost for the general public, children and adults alike.
The Museo de Arte de Ponce’s Young Guides program is unique in Puerto Rico. It provides training for students interested in presenting the museum’s collections and exhibitions to visitors. The training consists of a basic course taught during the school year (September to May), once a week, after school hours. After completing the course, the students can work as volunteers in the Museum.
Puertas abiertas (Open Doors) y Semilla dorada (Golden Seed)
Both programs cater to the elderly from Ponce and Southern parts of the island, offering trips to the Museum, art workshops and other activities.
Services offered in our School Program
- Professional development: school curriculum-based workshops for teachers offered at the beginning of the school year.
- Exhibition workshops: designed for educators, based on the temporary exhibitions and the school curriculum.
- Curriculum-based tours: topics related to the school curriculum, for groups of 20 or more students.
- Conferences and lectures: offered during the school year on topics related to the school curriculum.
- Art workshops: for all ages and skill levels, from beginner to advanced.
- Short courses: offered each semester, subjects include drawing, painting, sculpture and digital photography, among others.
- Summer program: activity packages consisting of tours and art workshops for small and large summer camp groups.
Art in Cristo Pobre Shelter
The Museum offers weekly art workshops to impoverished and homeless people. This program is made possible with the support of Fundación Plaza del Caribe.
Painting my Future and Art Empowering People
Both programs, made possible by the Administration of Public Housing of Puerto Rico, were conceived to improve the quality of life of residents of public housing in the South region of Puerto Rico through art workshops, guided tours through the permanent collection, and other mindfulness activities.
Find out about the Latest News