The building was designed by Edward Durell Stone—the American Architect acclaimed for projects such as the MoMA in New York. It earned the Honor Award from the American Institute of Architects (AIA).
At the time of its opening in 1959, the Museum was located in a colonial house on 70, calle Cristina. The current building was inaugurated on December 28, 1965, and was designed by American Architect Edward Durell Stone, renowned for projects such as the MoMA, in New York and the Jenney Center, in Washington D.C. Both, the building and its gardens, are recognized as landmark designs in Puerto Rico’s architectural heritage. In 1967, the building earned the Honor Award from the American Institute of Architects (AIA).
Between 2008 and 2010, the interior underwent renovation and the Annex Building, housing the office space as well as the conservation center, historical archives, library, and community outreach area, was built. Nevertheless, on January 7, 2020 an earthquake impacted the southwestern part of the island and the main building was damaged. Currently, the Museum is closed to the public and reconstruction works are in process.