The Museo de Arte de Ponce is one of the most important museums in the Americas.
The Museo de Arte de Ponce was founded by Luis A. Ferré (1904-2003), a Puerto Rican philanthropist, cement tycoon and governor of Puerto Rico who felt passionately about culture and education. Ferré had the vision of bringing outstanding examples of European art to the island. Unlike other founders, who created museums out of personal collections, Ferré started buying for the institution from the outset by first establishing The Luis A. Ferré Foundation, in 1957.
The Museum opened its doors to the public on January 3, 1959, in a colonial house in Ponce, Ferré’s hometown and a center of cultural life during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. In 1965 the building designed by the renowned architect Edward Durell Stone was inaugurated and in 2010 a modern Anex Building to expand the facilities opened to the public. When the Museum first opened, the collection consisted of 71 paintings; these have been added over the years, both before and after Ferré’s death, and today they number approximately 4,500 artworks.